Saturday, September 22, 2012

Time to Make Chemo Hats

I've got the blue one done...Decided to model it first...I have a big head, about the same size as my sister, so if it fits me, it will probably fit her. It's made of fun fur by Lion brand, and their microspun acrylic fiber as well. You hold the eyelash yarn together with the microspun yarn--two strands as you knit it on large needles. I think they were size 13, if I remember right.  Free pattern on the Lion brand website. This turned out to be an extremely soft cap.
The hat was really fun to make and easy! I like it so much myself, I might make one for me...So many colors to choose from on the Lion yarn website.

I started another hat for my sister....The pattern was called "Lace Trim Chemo Cap" by Maureen Keenan, a free pattern on Ravelry. It had a very pretty simple lace pattern trim at the edge. It seemed very easy. For some reason, between casting on 120 stitches and making sure they didn't get twisted, and getting through the lace part, I tried THREE times to make it, one time getting all the way to the decreases and messing up the count. I figured three times of frustration was enough and that just wasn't the pattern for me to try right now. I'll try another time......When it's not fun, it's time to move on to something else!

My sister has started chemo....she's very tired but other than that, no nausea or hair loss yet. She's having treatments about two weeks apart to start and has only had one so far. She had to get a shot to keep her white cell count up, and that makes her bones hurt. Her spirits are good, and that's important....

I'm going to go see her in a couple of days, meeting her in Harsen's Island, near St. Clair, MI. We're going to have lunch or dinner together, heck, maybe both!  We'll spend the night with her and her hubby at a rented cottage house, then drive back to Hopkins, MI. Should be fun!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry about your sis. I can't imagine going through that, and having her live far away makes it even worse. Your hats are darling, and will be a way for her to know you are thinking about her. She's going to love them.

    Thank goodness her lungs are okay. It's so important to catch these things early, and it looks like she at least has that going for her.

    Prayers and good wishes to Lyle for a speedy recovery, and an easy recovery.

    ReplyDelete