Sunday, November 11, 2012

Hats Off!

To those who serve our country....

I am so proud of my daughter who is a first lieutenant in the Virginia Army National Guard and who has served in Iraq. She's a great logistician for the Army and a great leader. She does her job well, and makes me so proud! It's Veteran's Day today, and I really enjoyed seeing the photos posted on MSN in their galleries, and reading Facebook and blogs with special mentions about Veterans' Day--loved the poems and stories I saw today....
                          
                      ********************************
To those people who, when reflecting a difference of opinion on blogs, aren't afraid to say who they really are, instead of hiding behind "anonymous" and making nasty, rude comments. I'm amazed at how rude some people are on blogs I read..But then, I shouldn't be, because the world is made up of all kinds of people and rudeness seems to be the norm these days. Why that is, we could discuss for days, so I won't. It just bothers me that kindness, respect, caring and politeness are rare.  I've tried very hard to bring my daughters up to be kind, to respect their elders, to show compassion and empathy for others. I think I have succeeded!  My daughters are both loving, caring, compassionate people....
                                          
********************************
Speaking of hats off, I made a hat today...crocheted, for my youngest daughter..Did I pay attention to the gauge? Nope....It WAS going to be for her, but it ended up being too big, even for me, and I wear an extra large hat size! She has a smaller head, so the hat is going to get donated somewhere....And I'm off making it again, two sizes smaller crochet hook than what the pattern called for. Hope it works this time and I did check the gauge....  :-) I know the yarn was ok, it calls for worsted weight and a size G hook. The hat pattern was purchased on Etsy (5.00)...It's called the Checker Beret, an original design by Yoshie Wakabayashi for Momohana Kobo and is "sized to fit most adults". [with big heads, haha!] This would probably be a great hat for warmer weather/cool nights as it has a lot of "breathing" holes in it...
I enjoyed making this hat, even if it did turn out too big. The directions were excellent and easy to follow. Maybe I'll start making hats instead of minis (ornaments) for awhile....But first, I gotta get the size down right! I'm going to try an "E" hook and see how that works.

Until next time......

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for raising such wonderful kids, and for your daughter's service to our country. She is very brave, and I can see why you are so proud.

    I agree that there are people who are so rude about other people's opinions. I thought free speech about our opinions was what this country was about, and polite give and take when talking about our views, but some people think that right only applies to them, I guess. Win or lose, they are still pushy name callers.

    I'm careful about what I say, and make sure I'm talking to a like-minded person before I say anything political. I'm afraid of being targeted. It's sad, isn't it? I'm ever hopeful, though, that we will swing back to a more civilized country. :)

    ReplyDelete