Thursday, March 10, 2011

Busy Bee at the Rally

I haven't done much creating with my hands this week...we're at a rally in Yuma, AZ and I've been doing more cooking for my little business, Tastefully Simple. I did put out my knitted Easter eggs, and out of a dozen, I sold three. A lady bought two for her grandchildren and like them because they were so different. This was a lady with VERY interesting attire....a big brimmed red straw hat, red clogs, colorful large flowery beads and striped shirt. She said she liked to make a really different Easter basket every year and fill it with different, unusual things. I could see that from her personality and dress....guess my eggs were the right touch this year!

Another lady bought one for a cat toy....now, I'm not so sure that's going to last very long....hmmmm, a cat's claws and a knitted egg out of sport yarn...I see her every day during the rally, so I'll have to ask her how the egg is holding up....

I've decided to knit some camera cozies and some cell phone ones for the craft fair at the end of March at the Palm Creek RV resort which we are staying at till the second week of May...I did one over the last two days out of pretty blue sock yarn. I got all the way to the place in the pattern where you do the yarnover and ribbing for the eyelets for a drawstring, and somehow got the yarnover wrong. It ended up throwing the ribbing off in the row coming back off the yarnover row. I knew I had to rip out a row or two to get back on track...I did, but couldn't recover the stitches, and dropped quite a few. I got too frustrated and ripped the entire project down to the starting slip knot....patience is not one of my virtues! I put the blue ball of yarn away for another day and immediately started a Tequila Sunrise (that's the color) knit pouchy thing to ease my frustrations.....this time I'm not going to rib it....just straight stockinette stitch...I might put a little "bling" on it on the front when I am done....got some cool little beads at Michaels the other day...

I have to really watch going to craft stores like Hobby Lobby and Michaels. I'm too impulsive in my personality, and end up buying lots more stuff than I'll ever use. I seem to have a "stockpiling" mentality when it comes to craft supplies..I think, well, I should buy this and this and this, because I will need lots of colors and choices in my things I make, and then I have all these supplies sitting around collecting dust, instead of buying for one item that I am making. But beads were on sale, 40% off! So I just had to buy strings and strings of them, they were such a great deal! Then I look at all the "stuff" I've accumulated over the past year, and get disgusted with myself. I now have taken over most of the cupboards in the living room by the dining room table in the motor home. Eldy is such a sweetheart, he never says a word. If it makes me happy, he's happy. I'm happy when I have my little collection of fabric, punch needle, yarn and other things, but I'm not happy with myself about overspending to have these things....trying to work on that, but in 60 years, I haven't made much progress....but I've made some wonderful wonderful things! Sometimes I look back and say to myself, I can't believe I did that! Like the time I decided to make a paper pieced quilt for my mom. I had never done paper piecing but took on an advanced Easter lily paper pieced wall hanging. Paper piecing itself is easy, so I did it, but it was very difficult joining MANY mini-pieced sections together. Mom proudly hung that wall quilt for many years.....


I've really enjoyed the rally this week, and sold quite a bit of my Tastefully Simple inventory...not making much profit, but the response to the product has been wonderful! Not many people have heard of it out here in Arizona. They really like the food! And the free samples......that's all for now........

No comments:

Post a Comment