Tuesday, January 29, 2013

I've Been Busy!

Made a little owl, possibly for my grandson, or possibly for a craft show....Can't decide if he needs wings or he's fine like he is?

I tried to make one out of pink mohair, a "female" version of him, but mohair is AWFUL to work with! At least, it is for me! So I used Lion Brand "Amaze" instead which has a little mohair in it, for this little blue owl. I like the way the colors change and add a little more "oomph!" to the textured seed stitch. I think I will see what  other colors of "Amaze" are out there for another owl. I think I'm going to make a WHOLE BUNCH OF STUFF for a future craft show somewhere, who knows where. Just a lot of different little gifts for different ages of people. I have a little store I've set up on Etsy, JeanBeanGifts, to try and sell some things, but no luck so far. You have to post new things all the time on Etsy to keep in the public view, and I haven't been doing that.

I don't know what possessed me, but a long time ago, I had made a little table runner out of garter stitch or stockinette stitch mitered squares. I don't know what happened to it, lost once again, probably in the storage unit back in Indiana, buried seven layers deep....so I got a mitered square baby blanket pattern back out of my pattern notebook. It's from the Heathen Housewife blog a few years ago..It's a garter stitch square..I've decided to use up my sock yarn little balls to make the squares. Not the best idea, as it will take a TON of squares to make a table runner but it's fun and relatively quick to make each square, about a half hour for each one.

I cast on 31 stitches using size 1 needles...you knit one row and then on the second knit row, on the right side, you do a double decrease in the center. Each succeeding row you knit one less stitch to the center of the decrease...You join the squares together by picking up stitches along two sides of two previous squares and knitting yet another square. Haven't quite figured out how to join bunches of three's together, but I guess I will figure it out somehow or take it to a knit shop--(great excuse for checking out a local knit shop!)

And, that's not all---working on my third pine needle basket...It's coming along....
Until next time.....

1 comment:

  1. Boy, you sure are busy. Love the owl, I think he looks great with no wings.

    I've started crocheting, and I'm using that word loosely, and also crocheting loosely since I've only done one row, the first one. I can't figure out how to get the second row attached correctly, but I'll keep working on it.

    I made an extremely long row just to practice and get comfortable with how my hands were supposed to work. That was yesterday. Today I did another one and tried to second row, which I pulled out. Tomorrow I'll try again. Wish I had your skills and knowledge!!

    ReplyDelete