Sunday, November 13, 2011

A Mixed Bag of Crafts

A little bit of everything this week....felt ornaments with little felt pockets on the back to tuck in a candy cane or little bit of cash for the grandkids...The pattern is for a snowman family-Mom, Dad, two kids, and a dog and cat. These are the snowkids and little dog finished so far....

And what else have I been up to?  Making a scarf....It's been a real challenge...I've ripped it out three times because of having trouble with a simple yarn over that moves over one stitch each row. The yarn is Lion Brand "Amazing" in the color vineyard.  The other challenge to this yarn is, it sticks to itself.  Arrrrggghhh! After ripping it out twice 25 rows into making the scarf, I thought, OK, if I use a lifeline, I won't have to rip out to the beginning. Wrong! The yarn stuck to itself so badly, almost like Velcro, the lifeline was useless and back to the beginning I went again....This time, it's working well. I understand what I did wrong on the yarnover. I didn't do it correctly moving from a knit stitch going into a purl stitch. Once I got that figured out, I was well on my way, and here it is so far.....Not sure I like the gray that showed up in the colorway, but that's the way the yarn knits up....The pattern is off the web and called Eva Elongated Scarf pattern (free) and there's a hat that matches the scarf that is a separate pattern. 
Got my second sock done...these are for me...somehow they fit differently in the heel than my last pair...My last pair was made with Kroy sock yarn, slightly thicker and I made them on one size bigger needles. This time, the sock yarn is Deborah Norville's Serenity Sock yarn, I came down a needle size, but the heel is a little too loose! Sure wish I knew how to adjust numbers on the needles to get socks to fit better! I'm still stuck on one basic sock pattern--Lisa Knits Basic Toe Up Socks....it's the only one I understand so far using two circular needles. Guess I need to commit to watching Youtube videos and reading some of my sock books. I don't understand how to switch a DPN sock pattern to two circulars, so that's holding me back. Maybe I'll try the DPN's for the next pair!

Wonder what I'll feel like making next week? I've got some pretty crayon colored sock yarn calling my name...maybe I'll try and experiment with a different leg pattern!

No comments:

Post a Comment