Sunday, November 20, 2011

A Talented Weaver

Every once in awhile, more than I'd like to admit, I go looking for yarn shops. I'm enjoying knitting very much, very excited about learning new skills, so now, instead of fabric stores, I'm leaning more towards yarn shops. I did a Google search for "yarn stores in Gulf Shores, AL" where we are now, and came up with only two in the area and neither one is in Gulf Shores. One was called Clara's Loom in Foley, AL just a few miles away, and the other one was called the Yarn Cottage, which is in Fairhope, AL.

I visited Clara's Loom today....I called to get basic directions and didn't ask the important question, "Do you have a good selection of yarn?" When I got there, it was a cute little tiny little store front, easy to find, and a sign was on the door, "If locked, I'm upstairs weaving, I'll be right down!" It was locked, and the owner, Celia Dionne, a fiber artist with over 30 years experienc, did come right down and let me in. The shop was stocked with shawls, weaving supplies, neckwear, "fashion bibs" and accessories made from ribbon and yarn fibers. She sold a variety of sizes of looms as well and she did have a very small portion of the shop devoted to Berrocco yarns and some other interesting fibers...She was a weaver, not a knitter nor a crocheter, but that's ok...she was a VERY talented weaver! She makes shawls, and something smaller like a shawl that she called a "fashion bib", a smaller version of a shawl that ties at the back of the neck and is a GORGEOUS neckware fashion statement...She graciously let me see her workshop upstairs where she weaves some amazing creations! Here is one of her beautiful shawls......

She graciously showed me her triangle looms of various sizes.....and she did a little bit of weaving so I could see the process....I LOVE seeing craftspeople work...She had an eye for colors and combinations of yarns that came together to make beautiful shawls and neckwear. She is an expert weaver and exhibits her work and sells in different parts of the country...I really appreciated being in the presence of a craftsperson of her talents, and I love to see new and different things being made...
Thank you, Celia, for letting me see your beautiful work.....

Did I make anything this week? Nothing new, still working on my scarf from last week, waiting to get some more yarn to add to the scarf.....working on my "Crayola" socks with one of the prettiest colorways going...I threw away the ball band that tells the name and the care of the wool! What a dummy! That's not the first time I have done that. I don't know what I was thinking!   I'll have pictures next week of this beautiful yarn.....Until next time.....  Jeannie and Lyle

No comments:

Post a Comment