Sunday, December 11, 2011

Going Green with Plarn

I had never heard of plarn until I got on the Knitting Paradise forum...I thought crocheting and knitting with plastic bags was cool, but not very pretty, most likely. This morning I found this site and check this out...it's amazing what people can do with plastic bags!  Creating with plastic bags 

I've decided to keep my eyes open for pretty plastic bags in different colors....they must be out there, but everywhere I've seen, they are white....That's all I need to do...collect yet another source of craft materials. The RV is bulging out the sides already with yarn totes! :-)

We're in Naples for the month of December. There's a wonderful yarn shop here. It's called Knitting With Nancy. As far as yarn supplies, needles and ideas go, this is a small shop, but it's full of hand knitted models of shawls, baby stuff, scarves, vests, accessories and she has a terrific selection of yarn! I'm going to have to really behave myself and not go crazy here. To top it off, the store is within walking distance of the RV park we are staying in, like half a block away.. I am going to go and knit on Wednesday mornings with them. I really need to develop my skills and learn some new techniques before we leave the area in January. They need help making ruffle scarves for a local women's shelter so I am going to sit and knit scarves with them to help them meet their goal of 60 scarves before Christmas.

felt hand sewn snowman and crocheted snowman face
I put up my little 4 foot Christmas tree in the RV. It's got my little handknitted sweaters on it, mini hats, stockings, mittens, knitted angels, felt ornaments and the usual glittery ones. It's about as close as I can get to my 7 foot tree I used to put up when living back in Indiana. Every year I made some type of homemade ornaments to put on the tree. One year it was copper cookie cutter styled ornaments, ornaments made out of cocktail toothpicks, felt ones, crocheted ones, and this year it's the year of the knitted "minis".
martial arts dobok

Little mini handknitted sweater made from leftover Red Heart sock yarn....

And a little mini hat...got at least five of them on the tree, again from Red Heart sock yarn...they were actually fun to make! I think they need BLING! But wanted to get them on the tree for now. I'll go looking for some sparkly things to sewn on the tops of the hats..maybe some jingle bells! or little charms....Tis the season!  Until next time......

No comments:

Post a Comment