Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Mitered Scarf Pattern

When I first started this mitered scarf pattern, I really really enjoyed making the squares. Then I started running into problems with the pattern....it wasn't completely explained as to how to add additional squares, a necessary increase direction in the pattern was missing, and I discovered that my spatial problems that affect me in real life ( I have tons of trouble with directions in traveling, finding my way out of a large mall the same way I came in, finding my car in the parking lot and various other annoying problems), also seem to affect me when there is spatial orientation on a project.

If I were to do this project right, I would have paid more attention to the angles of the decreases and where I was making additions to each previous square. The first set came out with a nice "X" (the four squares in the upper right corner), where the double decreases all meet at the correct angles..after that, I must have kept turning the piece different ways as I was knitting it, paying more attention to "what color should I try next?" instead of paying attention to the angle of the decrease. Now they sort of go every which way! Then I discovered, I really don't like the Red Heart Heart and Sole yarn colorways for this project. For socks they are ok, but not so much in a square pattern, at least that's what I think about this project...but that was the only sock yarn I had on hand...actually, some of them turned out all right--I like the "spring" sock color (lower left bottom), the "lime" right next to it on the right, and the "razzle dazzle" (top left square). The blue one in the center is another company's sock yarn. I'm not smart enough to figure out how to use the yarn to get the granny square look as these Red Heart yarns seem to make granny squares...if I made each one separately and then hand sewed them together later, I might get a much better look! EUREKA!  What a concept! Hand sew them so you can arrange them like a quilt! Then I'd have my granny squares! Yeah, but I'm a little on the lazy side, I liked doing this pattern because you join them as you knit! I've seen variations on this mitered square pattern. Somebody online made a baby blanket out of sock yarn, and it was GORGEOUS!

Just got another idea...wonder what it would look like if you took the same hues of colors--using different sock yarns from different companies, say, in a range of blues....but then I'd have to buy new yarn!  There's just no end in sight to this accumulating a "stash" of yarn, just like my former fabric collection that currently sits in storage back in Indiana....sigh!

So I quit after making a nine square, and I'll use it for a hotpad....I would love to still make a mitered square table runner, but with prettier sock yarn.  I'm gonna pay attention to where some knit shops are on future travels. For now, I need to think of some more projects using one skein sock yarn. I bought a LOT of Red Heart and Sole yarn, but not two of everything to make socks. I've looked at some knitting books in stores (One Skein Sock Wonders) or something like that, but didn't find anything I'd like to make.

Making socks is still on the agenda. My oldest daughter has asked for some, and I need to get started. I've never made any, so am temporarily confused by "toe up" and single circulars vs. double circulars. Step number one, START! Watch some You Tube videos, some online tutorials and see if I can't get going on this....


Got to finish up my crocheted felted purse--sew up the side seams and figure out a pretty way to embellish and add a closure...blanket stitch? beads? embroidery?  more hand felted stuff like flowers? I'm leaning towards a row of little round flowers with stems reaching down to the bottom edge of the purse. The color is a little too bright for me personally, (it's actually much brighter turquoise than the photo shows) so I might donate it to charity and try again with a grape color....then again, I'll wait and see how the flowers turn out. I might like it!

My sis has completed weaving a scarf on her loom, then decided she didn't like the textures and so she redid her weaving...tada! Here it is...she says she's going to use all yarn for her next scarf project.....way to go, Sis! I think it's very pretty!                      See you next week,        Lyle and Jeannie

No comments:

Post a Comment